7.18.2010

Battle of Britain Pilot's Blog - John Bisdee - RAF Museum

Spitfire replica and Hurricane replica at the ...Image via Wikipedia
Battle of Britain Pilot's Blog - John Bisdee - RAF Museum:
18 July 1940

"Had a crack at a Ju 88. Yellow [Section] Teeny[20], Self, Newbery[21] on patrol, saw AA from convoy. Teeny did steep climbing turn, loosed off a few rounds & 'ran out of lift', actually nearly span in. I chased the Ju 88 out to sea. Rear gunner opened up at 1000 yards, quite out of range. I gave burst at 600 yards & 400 yards, stopping top rear gunner. Closed in & damaged port engine, when e/a[22] climbed steeply. I had a fine plan view, but ran out of ammo. Was I sick! Still, I had had a crack.
Rest of month's flying very dull, except for a lump of our own AA in my tail.
Entertainment at [Middle] Wallop consists of drinking, mainly at the White Hart, Andover, and the Haunch of Venison, Salisbury."
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment